Newburyport Massachusetts History
Newburyport, Massachusetts, a town of 18,000 people, is full of character and scenery, with a little-known 11-mile beach and great views of the Atlantic Ocean. Today, it is best known as the home of New York City, Boston and the Boston Marathon, but is also home to the world's second largest aquarium and one of Massachusetts "most popular tourist attractions, the Newburgh Museum.
If you're visiting Newburyport and looking for a great way to entertain your guests, a historical walking tour of Untapped History is a must. Another crowd-pleaser is the historic site where the Merrimack River meets the ocean, the Newburgh Museum. Below we have listed some excellent books for other local references that we can consult for the entire history of the subway. These include a published monograph on the history of New York's subway lines and a book on the city's history as a slave city.
For more information on the history of the Newburyport subway line and its history, see this Boston Globe article.
Originally officially settled in 1764, Newburyport became one of the oldest cities in New England and the second largest city in the United States. The Archival Center's collection focuses on the history of New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York, with additional material covering New England. We have the original manuscripts in our collection as well as manuscripts from the Boston Public Library, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and other sources.
In the 17th century, the settlement on the Merrimack River grew and eventually became a centre of fishing, trade and maritime industry.
Amesbury was home to the Powder House, which housed munitions from the 1812 war, originally stored in Deacon Orlando's Maishouse. Today, the customs house and the Maritime Museum display the remains of Newburyport's role in the defense of the US Navy and its ships in the Revolutionary War. There was a brief period of prosperity in 1808 when the first post office, school and church were built, all donated to the Old Newfield Historical Society. The building was acquired by a group that restored it in the early 1970s and included it in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
While the old Moseley estate is haunted, it is still a beautiful property and a historic landmark of Newburyport. Visit the extensive open countryside and visit the farmhouse to see what life was like in Newbury in the 1690s. The Customs House and the Maritime Museum house some of the most interesting historical artifacts and objects from the history of the city. Newburysport's maritime heritage runs deep and you can see how this city became a commercial seaport in the Customs House and the Maritime Museum.
Newburyport is also able to provide access to many of Massachusetts "most popular tourist attractions, including the Mystic River, Boston Harbor and Fenway Park.
The Newburyport Museum of Natural History and the Massachusetts Historical Society (MAHSS) in Boston, Massachusetts, and the Boston Public Librarys Boston Museum and Museum Center.
I have studied the history of Portsmouth all my life and have seen enough to know early American history, historical sites and the past. Harriet Spofford admits that, while Portsmouth has the vitality of Newburyport, it has a certain primeval grandeur. Much of what has been built in is full of amazing facts and wonders, many of which have been included in the Portsmouth Museum of Natural History and the Massachusetts Historical Society (MAHSS).
The first church in Newbury, Massachusetts, was divided in 1695 when the Second Church was founded in Newburgh, followed by the Third Church in 1726. The two volumes cover the history of the organization, which is known differently as the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth church.
Anthony and his family stayed in Newbury until the end of the 18th century, first moving to Dodges Island, now Kittery, Maine, and then to Portsmouth, Massachusetts, from where they moved to Dover, New Hampshire, in the 18th century. The two broken ports continued to trade shipbuilding, but Portsmouth gained an economic advantage. Dodge's also owned and leased land on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain near the current site of Newburgh and Portsmouth.
Professional hunters used Newburyport as their headquarters north of Boston and had general sympathy for their efforts. The Merrimack River was a bottleneck for the railroad and affected the city's trade with New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, but it was part of the North Shore of Massachusetts and laid the foundation for the construction of the New Hampshire - Massachusetts Railroad in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Professional hunters had a general sympathy for his efforts and used it as headquarters for North Boston. In the mid-19th century, the Merritt Island Railroad, now the North Shore Railway, was built in Newburysport.